Maintenance ICity of Brainerd
Performs semi-skilled work and operates a variety of equipment and tools in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of the City's street, storm, and sanitary drainage facilities and systems. Performs other related duties as required or apparent. Performs work under the immediate supervision of the Street Foreman.
- Performs a variety of maintenance activities on streets and sewers such as hauling asphalt and other materials; spreading and dumping materials; patching streets; assisting in striping streets and sign work; assists with rodding, flushing, and televising sewers including driving and operating the Vactor truck; cleaning catch basins; painting crosswalks and curbs; operating the tar kettle, wood chipper and other related work as assigned.
- Removes and hauls snow, cuts and trims trees and brush, and mows grass.
- Operates, maintains, and repairs a variety of tools and equipment such as mowers, tillers, sprayers, spreaders, trucks, chain saws, hand tools, and other equipment.
- Works with and assists other personnel in installing pipe, repairing sewer lines and manholes, and repairing storm sewers.
- Operates a jackhammer to remove concrete, curbs, gutters, and sidewalks.
- May periodically operate heavy equipment such as front-end loaders and dump trucks to haul material, plow snow, and salt/sand streets.
- Responds to sewer backups and/or operational emergencies including after work hours as needed.
- Maintains street department buildings and shop areas; may perform some welding, cement work, carpentry, painting, and plumbing on City buildings, fixtures, and/or equipment as needed.
- Performs preventative maintenance and minor repairs on Street Department vehicles and equipment.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours and weekends as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the principals of the repair and maintenance of tools, equipment, and small engines.
- Knowledge of the methods, tools, materials, and equipment utilized in the area of assignment.
- Considerable skill in the safe operation of motor vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of the work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated in the area of work assigned to comply with City and OSHA standards.
- Working skill in building maintenance, welding, carpentry, plumbing, and painting.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and policies.
- Working ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and communicate effectively with City staff and the public.
- Working ability to operate heavy and light equipment to maintain and repair streets, haul material, remove snow, clean streets, mow grass, and apply salt and sand to City streets.
- Working ability to listen and speak effectively and follow oral and written instructions.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must have at least one year of maintenance or construction experience in either the street or sewer field.
- Valid Minnesota Class "B" Commercial Driver's license with tanker endorsement or ability to obtain prior to employment.
- Complete and maintain OSHA required training.
The following are desirable qualifications:
- Additional experience operating equipment in a street and/or sewer maintenance operation.
- Graduation from a Technical/Community College training program in a related field.
The City of Brainerd offers a competitive wage and an excellent benefit package This position is represented by the IUOE Local No. 49 Union contract. The hiring range is $20.29 - $21.31 per hour. The pay range is $20.29 - $27.39 per hour.