Plant Assistant I #404 - 1019City of Grand Rapids
Plant Assistant I
Nature of Work
This is a Natural Progression position. Satisfactory completion of the assigned duties and responsibilities results in appointment to Plant Assistant II. This is manual and some semiskilled work in the care and maintenance of Wastewater Treatment Plant Facilities and grounds.
Examples of Work (May not include all of the duties performed.)
- Maintains grounds by cutting grass, trimming shrubs, removing snow, removing trash and other debris, edging, seeding, fertilizing, trimming trees and removal, and lawn watering.
- Cleans tanks, equipment, drains, buildings, tunnels, dry wells and wet wells using a variety of equipment including high pressure water, steam cleaning, augers and scrubbers.
- Operates snowplows, trucks and blowers as needed; removes ice and snow from roadways, driveways and sidewalks.
- Transports emergency power generators to pumping stations and places on-line; transports pumps and other equipment to Wastewater Treatment facilities and to other City departments.
- Assists plant maintenance personnel and plant operations personnel.
- Works as top person in confined space entry.
- Enters confined spaces, tests atmosphere, sets up ventilation, tripod, harness and lifeline.
- Removes and loads sludge into containers using front end loader, backhoe and bobcat.
- Operates equipment including 26,000 GVW truck, 35,000 GVW truck, boom truck, front end loader, backhoe, bobcat, forklift and tractors.
- Assists plant painter with sandblasting projects.
- Assists plant painter with general plant painting projects.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Completion of tenth grade and two years of experience in general building and grounds maintenance and repair work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Commercial driver's license (CDL) or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- This is a safety-sensitive position subject to the department of transportation (DOT) random drug & alcohol testing program.
Other Necessary Qualifications
Requirements of Work (Performs other related duties as assigned)
- Some knowledge of semi-skilled building and grounds maintenance and repair practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of standard hand and power tools and equipment used in facilities grounds and equipment maintenance activities.
- Some knowledge of hand and power tools and equipment used in facilities grounds and equipment maintenance activities.
- Some knowledge of safety standards and precautions pertaining to the use of tools and heavy physical labor, and working in confined spaces or potentially dangerous situations.
- Ability to read and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to operate such equipment as hand and power mowers, edgers, blowers, pressure washers, forklift, backhoe, front end loader, dump truck, hand and power tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Ability to use and operate safety gear related to work.
- Ability to train and learn required tasks and duties to demonstrate competence to perform Plant Assistant II functions.
- Ability to obtain and retain appropriate equipment certifications such as forklifts, backhoes, areal platforms and the like.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other employees.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching, and lifting heavy objects.
$36,709.00 - $46,643.00 Annually
Department Environmental Services
Job Number 404 - 1019
Web Id: 0009373274