Heavy Equipment OperatorCumberland County Improvement Authority
JOB PURPOSE: Operate different types, makes and models of gasoline or diesel-powered equipment to perform various assignments in and around the Solid Waste Complex as directed by the Facilities Manager. In addition, at times be responsible for the pick-up of trash and recyclables from commercial customers and deliver to the Solid Waste Complex.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Maintain grades on both level and sloping terrain in various types of equipment and weather conditions
• Movement of solid waste and fine grading of cover material
• Assist to ensure that equipment is ready for operation by utilizing complete operator checklist
• Maintain equipment and perform services such as grease, oil, lubricate machine parts as needed to heavy equipment machinery
• Operate and maneuver gasoline or diesel-powered equipment and control attachments to perform tasks with variety of materials in different weather and ground conditions
• Operate various trucks and haul and dump various materials both on and off the facility
• Perform manual tasks which will include general cleanup, picking of litter and related activities to ensure a secure and sanitary landfill site
• All other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of experience in operation of heavy equipment such as landfill compactors, bulldozers, front end loaders, scrapers, roll-off and front loaders. Formal Training in the operations and maintenance of heavy equipment and tractor trailers can be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATION:
• Valid New Jersey Driver’s License required with Class B CDL
• Class A CDL, preferred
• Must pass Criminal and Driving Background Investigation
• Must possess a current DOT physical assessment card
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to operate heavy equipment in the landfill as needed
• Ability to read and understand blueprints, sketches and read grade stakes to maintain proper grades, slopes, roadways, etc.
• Ability to monitor and direct the proper placement of material delivered to the facility
• Ability to inspect and observe solid waste entering facility to ensure compliance with applicable operating permits
• Ability to operate fleet vehicles by “Driving Defensively” and by being alert and proactive in the prevention of accidents and/or “Road Rage”
• Ability to operate the bed-lift hydraulic controls and mounted loading/unloading hydraulic systems on the roll-off equipped truck.
• Knowledge to perform DOT VIR (Vehicle Inspection Report)
• Geographic knowledge of area and its road network
• Ability to operate GPS programs • Ability to read maps and/or follow written directions
• Ability to use handsfree communication systems
• Ability to work extended shifts and six-day weeks when necessary
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Position requires considerable physical exertion at times, i.e., lift-up to 50 lbs., climbing, standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, seeing, feeling, grasping, balancing, crouching, crawling, kneeling, and reaching with hands or arms. Work environment results in occasional exposure to extreme levels of temperature, humidity, air pollution, noise pollution, noxious gases, etc. as well as exposure to situations that could result in physical trauma if safety precautions are not precisely followed. Work consists of routine standard procedures and tasks where simple analytical ability is required to select and execute act.