Recycling Collections Driver
Recycling Collections Driver
Terms: Regular full-time, non-exempt. Overtime frequently available.
Compensation: $20.56/hour. Scheduled salary increases per union contract
Benefits: Health, dental, long-term disability. Personal days and holidays. Tax-deferred retirement options and flexible compensation plan.
The purpose of this position is to safely and efficiently drive the collections truck, pick up the materials at the curbs of residences, multi-family units, and businesses in the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area, and haul to the material recovery facility or other appropriate sites. The Collections driver also provides excellent customer service and records route data. The Collections Driver works in a collaborative and constructive manner which reflects the values of the organization and moves it towards its mission to demonstrate that waste is preventable, and not inevitable.
1. Safely operate a side-load and/or rear-load commercial straight truck 26,000 lbs. or larger collecting recyclable materials manually, semi-automated or full automated from residential homes, apartment buildings and various commercial locations.
2. Drive vehicle to the material recovery facility (MRF) and follow proper procedures for weighing and dumpling recyclable materials.
3. Follow all applicable local, state and federal laws related to traffic and commercial driving, as well as Eureka’s safety, fleet drivers’ and other applicable policies and procedures.
4. Appropriately communicate with residents in person and/or by providing informational materials regarding issues involving which materials can be recycled, and which cannot be recycled.
5. Perform daily pre-trip and post-trip inspections of vehicle, and record results on Vehicle Condition Reports (VCRs) to ensure that the vehicle is in safe operating condition and that the vehicle is clean and orderly.
6. Communicate with and follow directions of supervisors, dispatch or other staff members and communicate in a safe, courteous and respectful manner.
7. Keep informed of road and weather conditions to determine how routes will be affected.
8. Has a thorough grasp of and commitment to the organization's mission.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Valid Class B (or A) Commercial driver's license.
2. Meet standards (driving record and background check) for operating a commercial vehicle as established by the employer and by employer’s insurance company for coverage.
3. Minimum age of 25.
4. Satisfactory completion of pre-employment medical exams, valid physical capacity tests, and pre-employment mandatory drug testing. Subject to all DOT requirements for the operation of commercial straight bodied vehicles with a GVW over 26,000 lbs.
5. One year recent experience on a full-time basis, or equivalent, driving a Class B (or A) commercial vehicle residential and/or commercial areas.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Ability to read maps and effectively navigate alley ways as well as multiple routes in the communities in which we serve.
2. Properly trained and experienced in legal, safe and defensive driving practices.
3. Demonstrated ability to courteously and tactfully communicate with customers and employees.
4. Effective English language communication skills.
5. Ability to keep records and generate written and computer reports related to work performed.
6. Working knowledge of the St Paul geographical area preferred but not essential.
7. Industry experience preferred, not required.
1. Subject to outdoor work environment in all weather conditions.
2. Be regularly exposed to noise, fumes, dust and odors typical of operating commercial vehicle which transports recyclable materials.
3. Walk, lift and carry heavy objects (up to 50 lbs.) repeatedly for extended periods of time.
4. Sit and stand for extended periods of time.
5. Frequently and repeatedly perform the following physical movements: climb in and out of recycling collection truck; bend at the waist and at the knees; reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; push and pull; twist and turn.
6. Utilize hand and finger dexterity in order to operate a variety of buttons and levers.
7. Manipulate control foot pedals on equipment while sitting and standing.
Affirmative Action Policy Statement:
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.