Gates Chili CSD - Administration Building
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
This position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation and routine daily maintenance check of a school bus used in the transport of students on an assigned route to and from school and on athletic and field trips. Employees of this class may also work on a seasonal basis with a town recreation department, transporting program participants between facilities or on excursions. The employee operates a full-size or mini-size school bus or van, and/or transports passengers with or without disabilities. Employees may be required to physically assist passengers to and from the bus or to operate a hydraulic lift for this purpose. Employees are responsible for the safety and conduct of passengers while in transport and may be accompanied in transit by a Bus Attendant or other staff member. The employee reports directly to, and works under the general supervision of a more senior transportation employee or administrator. Direct supervision may be exercised over Bus Attendants and other staff. Does related work as required.
- Drives a school bus/vehicle on a regular schedule on an assigned route or on special occasions;
- Performs a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle prior to departure and post-trip inspection after every route;
- Reports all defects, mechanical and other, of the bus/vehicle to the supervisor;
- Instructs or informs passengers about safety practices and procedures when embarking and disembarking bus/vehicle, while in transit, and throughout the year;
- Maintains safe and orderly conduct on the bus/vehicle, including student management;
- Assists passengers in boarding and exiting a bus/vehicle by providing physical assistance or operating a hydraulic lift;
- Cleans and fuels assigned vehicles daily;
- Operates a van, station wagon, or similar vehicle to transport objects.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
2-way radio as needed.
Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
Good knowledge of vehicle and traffic law, regulations of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, and regulations of the Commissioner of Education (New York State Education Part 156.3 Transportation Regulations) pertaining to pupil transportation; good knowledge of safe driving practices and defensive driving; good knowledge of the geography of the employing school district or municipality; ability to operate a bus under all driving and road conditions; ability to understand oral and written directions; ability to physically assist passengers on and off buses; ability to get along well with children/students/passengers and command their respect; mental alertness; visual and audio acuity; dependability; courtesy; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to lift students as needed.
- Ability to work outdoors.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.