Gerdau - Driver/Material Handler
Gerdau is the leading company in the production of long steel in the Americas and one of the major suppliers of specialty long steel in the world. With more than 45,000 employees, Gerdau has an installed capacity of more than 25 million metric tons of steel and it is the largest recycler in Latin America and around the world, it transforms millions of metric tons of scrap into steel every year.
Great opportunity for a Driver/Material Handler in the Bismarck area. Competitive pay and comprehensive benefits!
Operate standard factory-equipped gasoline or diesel truck tractor with flatbed trailer, roll-off, lugger, and lugger trains, up to stretch-out of 70 feet in length or straight truck to deliver a variety of steel products and accessory items to local, over-the-road or distant points. Follow standard or prescribed methods or procedures. Work involves a complete range of duties, somewhat repetitive and routine in nature, requiring considerable care to drive tractor/trailer vehicle in a correct and safe manner, in safety of load, and compliance with all laws, rules, and regulations. Assist in several aspects of daily operational needs such as scrap inspection, ferrous and non-ferrous purchasing, mobile equipment operation, and performing general maintenance duties.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow all established Gerdau Safety, Environmental, and Routine procedures specific to the yard.
- Make deliveries and/or pick-ups, operating from verbal or written instructions, invoices, bills of lading, shipping tickets, etc.
- Keep accurate and legible records (Driver’s Trip Reports, Tack Chart, Driver’s Daily Log, Vehicle Inspection Report, Driver’s Weekly Expense Report, Dispatch tickets).
- Maintain polite, courteous and diplomatic relations with either customers, receivers or suppliers with whom contact is made.
- Assist loading or unloading; unload without help as necessary; tie down load with chains or cinches; attach markers for overhang.
- Ensure proper tarping is used on all loads
- Keep Supervisor/Manager aware of any/all equipment needs and repairs
- Proper placement of equipment at customer's facilities proper and safe placement of scrap at all drop off locations (internal and external).
- Responsible for weighing and grading material (where applicable)
- Operate the loader and/or the material handler to assist in loading and unloading scrap material, while following the quality standards of Gerdau and the customer.
- Ensure professional communication between all yard personnel, customers, etc. once they enter a yard
- Assist with yard housekeeping efforts, perform other duties, and work assignments as required and directed.
- Assist co-workers in daily operational duties that are essential to the yard in terms of safety, efficiency, and profitability.
- Detect and report faulty material, improper operations and unusual conditions to proper supervision. Maintain equipment and supplies in a clean and orderly condition.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Over nine and up to 12 months experience with large mobile equipment or hauling vehicles and becoming familiar with locations and routine.
- Valid and Current Commercial Driver's License
- Current DOT Medical Card (where applicable)
- Must be enrolled in random drug screen program (where applicable)
Salary & Benefits
- Medical and Prescription
- Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Health Advocate Services
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All external applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.