Railroad ConductorsIowa Interstate Railroad LTD
Couples and uncouples cars, and performs other duties associated with the movement of trains, cars, engines in yards and on the road; mounts and dismounts equipment. Assists in transporting freight in a safe and satisfactory manner. This position includes Student conductors and associated training.
- Provides and receives various forms of oral and printed communication concerning railway cars movement and placement.
- Observes, interprets, and relays signals concerning train and engine movement.
- Operates track switches and derails to change engine and car routes.
- Inspects train and equipment condition.
- Operates various devices, such as an uncoupling lever, to separate and couple cars; applies handbrakes; climbs ladders.
- Prepares necessary forms and reports.
- Remains prepared for and constantly alert to unusual conditions or circumstances.
- Replaces knuckles and other associated labor.
- Responsible for performing duties and working hours as scheduled, including irregular hours (working and meal breaks), overtime, holidays, nights, weekends and may require extended time away from home as necessary.
- Performs other essential and nonessential functions as assigned.
Education, Licenses/Certifications and Work Experience
High school graduation or equivalent. Must pass all rules exams as given throughout training period. Mus possess a current valid driver's license and be able to provide proof of insurability.