ACCESS Scheduler Dispatcher
Position Summary: We are looking for a highly motivated individual who, under general supervision, will be able to perform the following functions:
Schedule passengers with recurring and one-time special transit needs; assign trips and prepare daily manifests for established paratransit routes or modify established routes to accommodate special transportation needs; determine vehicle equipment needs for individual passengers; arrange pick-up and drop-off locations and times with passengers and operators; assign trips and vehicles to maximize efficiency of routes; re-evaluate and modify routes as trip requests, operator and equipment needs change; maintain telephone contact with passengers and radio contact with operators to communicate schedules and changes.
Dispatch/provide work direction for operators on assigned shift; assess fitness for duty; communicate passenger changes and route modifications throughout the shift; evaluate daily service hours and flow to maximize efficiency of service; receive and respond to operator calls regarding vehicle/equipment problems, traffic, accidents, weather conditions and other requests for information; communicate problems to appropriate internal and/or external resources for timely resolution; coordinate alternate transportation for passengers as required and maintain on-time operator performance.
This position reports to the ACCESS Operations Manager.
Salary Range: The range for this position is $27.99 - $37.63 per hour, commensurate with experience. With rare exception, initial appointments are usually made at Step 1 ($27.99).
Benefits: Full-time employees receive a generous benefits package including subsidized medical insurance and fully paid dental insurance for employee and dependents, as well as disability insurance and life insurance. This position participates in the Washington State Public Employees’ Retirement Plan with the option of participating in a state administered deferred compensation plan. Employees receive a generous general leave accrual and 11 holidays pro-rated based on the number of hours worked per pay period up to a maximum of 80 hours per pay period. Kitsap Transit also provides employees and certain dependents with a free transportation pass on Kitsap Transit.
Hours of Work: Hours of operation are 3:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday and 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. This position works a 40-hour work schedule that includes shift work and overtime. Hours of operations may change in the future and applicants must be available to work any hours of ACCESS operation, including weekends and all holidays. Schedules for this position may vary from week to week and may include weekend work on a permanent basis.
Kitsap Transit employees who wish to apply must have a satisfactory performance and attendance record. Kitsap Transit Operators with any of the following criteria in the last twelve months are excluded from recruitment opportunities:
- a current Decision Making Leave or higher in the Safety category
- more than two held customer complaints
- more than four unscheduled absences
- more than two late reports
Education and Experience:
High school graduation and three years of technical/administrative support experience in a transit or transportation operations function including one year of scheduling/dispatching experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Following are some of the highlights of what is needed to be successful in this position.
- Department and agency policies and procedures
- County geography
- Keeping accurate and detailed records
- Conducting basic research and preparing clear and concise reports
- Understanding, explaining and applying complex regulations, procedures and guidelines
- Communicating effectively orally and in writing
- Using public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints
- Using personal computers and office software including word processing, spreadsheets and database programs in a Windows-based operating environment
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Positions in this class typically require: dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other equipment, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Locations and travel vary.
Selection Process: After evaluating the completed applications, qualifications summary, and supplemental questionnaires, we will invite the most qualified applicants to test for the position. The top scorers on the tests will be invited for interviews. We will not make any hiring decisions until all steps in the selection process are completed, including references.
To Apply: If you decide to apply for this position, please visit our employment link at http://kitsaptransit.appone.com/. Please contact Marianne Rajan in the Human Resources Department at (360) 478-5852 if you have any questions.
We must receive your completed online application package by 4:00 PM, Friday May 14th 2021.
- Selective certification may be used to achieve affirmative action goals.
- Kitsap Transit is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the hiring process, contact email@example.com at least ten days in advance or 360-479-4348 (TDD).
- If you qualify for the Veterans Scoring Criteria under RCW 41.04.005 and 41.04.010, you must answer all questions regarding Veterans Scoring Criteria Status Declaration in the application and upload a copy of the substantiating document as listed in the application.
- Kitsap Transit is subject to the requirements of the Federal Drug-Free Workplace Act and CFR Part 40 & Part 655, which prohibits the use of marijuana at any time while employed by Kitsap Transit.
KITSAP TRANSIT IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER