Class A CDL Driver
Description: Semi Truck Driver - Operate straight trucks to move freight from one geographical point to another, safely, efficiently and professionally without damage and within the time frames specified by the customer. This requires a high level of customer service orientation and quality orientation as a company front line employee. As part of this function, truck drivers efficiently sort, handle, secure, load and/or unload freight at various locations under varied conditions.
The route we are looking to fill will include the city of Cedar Rapids, IA and the surrounding area, 1st shift, start time 6:00 a.m., average miles 100/day, No weekends or holidays, No overnights, Class A CDL required, must complete a background check, drug screening and physical. Applicants will need to provide a copy of their Motor Vehicle Record.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Pick-up and delivery of freight
2. Understand and carry out instructions given orally or in writing, including those on manifests and other shipping documents, to determine the nature and amounts of freight loaded
3. Conduct a thorough pre-trip inspection of the equipment assigned in the manner prescribed by the Department of Transportation and the Company and a review of the transportation papers to determine if the equipment is ready to go, safe to operate and properly placarded according to the nature and amount of the cargo contained.
4. Ensure that the destination of the cargo and trailer match the dispatch given
5. Fill out and process necessary freight paperwork in an accurate and timely fashion
6. Safely operate tractor-trailer equipment in different configurations as assigned, with varying weights as allowed by law, under all types of climatic conditions, terrain, road conditions and traffic situations, in urban and rural settings, for extended periods of time, over long distances, either direct or by way of other intermediate points, with or without a partner, in accordance with all federal, stand and local laws and regulations and company policy
7. Complete records of duty status (logs) in an accurate and timely fashion
8. Utilize and follow all DOT, EPA and OSHA guidelines, Rules and Regulations. In particular, truck drivers are subject to the hours of service regulations of the United States Department of Transportation
9. Follow all company safety rules and regulations and comply with safety program duties
10. Properly and efficiently loads and/or unloads and checks material at company or customer facilities, while assisted or unassisted, using various mechanical aids and freight handling equipment. Properly secures or resecures the cargo as may be required
11. Accurately spot and report safety issues or potential vehicle problems to the company
12. Follow all state rules of the road including driver courtesy standards
13. Ensure customer satisfaction by following company quality standards
14. Protect company equipment and assets from damage and/or loss
15. Know, understand and apply the safety practices related to this position
16. Maintain cleanliness of vehicle cab and perform daily inspection of assigned vehicles including all inspections required by the DOT
17. Clean truck windows and mirrors as needed
18. Provide initial contact with public safety or law enforcement officials and the general public when involved in traffic accidents or hazardous material incidents
Other duties may be assigned. The frequency of performance of these essential duties and responsibilities may vary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.