Class B CDL Driver
Driver (CDL Certified)
Job Category: Driver
Job Title: Driver
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
POSITION OVERVIEW: To drive trucks carrying goods to customer job sites
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: From Yard Foreman
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Delivers lumber, hardware and building materials to customer’s job site;
- Reloads pickups of lumber, hardware and building materials onto truck from job site and returns them to lumberyard;
- Inspects truck before and after trips and submits report indicating truck condition;
- Assists workers in loading and unloading trucks; Inspects delivered products for quality and damaged appearance at time of delivery;
- Ensures all shipping documents and receipts are properly completed;
- Maintains driver log according to state and federal regulations;
- Uses straps to secure cargo during transit;
- Maintains good company image by presenting a clean and neat appearance while delivering merchandise to customers;
- Assists customers and stocks merchandise consisting of lumber and building materials when not on deliveries;
- Stacks lumber in yard or in shed;
- Builds loads;
- Helps keep yard clean of trash and debris;
- Daily maintenance such as checking oil level on truck and air pressure in tires.
- Responsible for keeping truck clean inside and out;
- May drive diesel or gasoline powered industrial trucks equipped with lifting devices such as forklift to push, pull, lift, stack, tier, or move products, equipment, or materials
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED; or one to two years related experience.
- Requires CDL Class B with air brakes endorsement and history of good driving.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be able to arrive at work on time and be able to maintain a good attendance record.
- Good knowledge of the Kansas City area is a plus.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must pass post-offer DOT drug screening and physical examination.
- Must pass essential functions testing which includes lifting and carrying, stair climb, push/pull, and grip dynamometer testing.
- Employee is regularly required to sit and frequently required to walk and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or lift.
- May frequently lift and/or move heavy and awkward material.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
ADVERSE WORKING CONDITIONS
- Exposure to year-round outside weather conditions, including excessive heat, humidity, rain, cold, dust, ice/snow.
- Must drive in all weather, in all traffic conditions.
- Must walk on uneven ground and through possible hazards on job sites.
- The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must wear personal protective equipment including safety boots (steel toe, puncture resistant), gloves, safety glasses, and hard hats on job sites.