System Operations Training Coordinator
Providing opportunities that build great careers
System Operations Training Coordinator
Minnkota Power is seeking qualified applicants for a System Operations Training Coordinator located in our Grand Forks, ND offices. The System Operations Training Coordinator is responsible for the systematic approach to training for the Power System Operators (PSOs) who direct and support the daily real-time operation of the regional electric system. The position includes compliance with all applicable North America Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO) reliability standards. This position is also responsible for managing the training budget and training software.
1. Development and coordination of the training program a. Coordinate the design and develop all MPC PSO training, including on the job, computer based, field observation, and classroom b. Solicit topics for instruction from staff and industry sources c. Evaluate training materials d. Coordinate the design and develop all Operations Support Personnel training per PER-005 e. Monitor PSO functions and maintain task list per PER-005 f. Construct and maintain a job task analysis for real time operating positions g. Monitor qualification processes, standards, and evaluations h. Coordinate and maintain initial and continuing education programs for PSOs i. Schedule all PSOs for CEHs to maintain NERC certification j. Schedule all PSOs for continuous training to meet PER-005 Standards k. Schedule all PSOs for structured field observations to maintain knowledge l. Develop yearly training budget
2. Deliver recurrent training and train to qualify new PSOs a. Perform and coordinate On Job Training (OJT), classroom, computer based, and field training b. Assist in qualifying Trainee(s) using MPC task based standards c. Schedule courses and prepare Trainee(s) for NERC System Operator Exam
3. Manage training program compliance a. Maintain PSO training policies, plans, and procedures b. Maintain documents and processes used in program coordination c. Maintain training program to meet NERC Standards
4. Maintain PSO training software and databases a. Maintain learning management system with data to prove adherence to MPC’s training program, including training history and continuing education hours. b. Maintain records for all PSO training, qualifications, testing, and evaluations c. Maintain training records for all NERC certified PSOs within the NERC ‘System Operator Certification and Continuing Education Database’ (SOCCED)
5. Maintain Professional requirements a. Maintain personal continuing education hours (CEH) for NERC certification b. Participate in regional and/or national forums on power system operations training c. Attend continuing education for trainers to meet NERC requirements d. Maintain MPC requirements for trainer
Organizational Competencies: • Safety • Integrity • Teamwork • Innovation • Reliability
Job Competencies: • Priority Setting • Learning on the Fly • Planning • Process Management • Understanding
Others Goals and Objectives: An employee filling this role is expected to meet changing and unique goals and objectives, as established by their supervisor, related to the broader area in which the employee is assigned.
Job Qualification Standards:
Education and Training
• Position requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Some examples of related fields include, but are not limited to Electrical Technology, System Operations, Education, and Engineering. Other experiences in the utility industry will be considered based on knowledge, skills, and abilities. • Must be able to successfully pass a Personnel Risk Assessment • Must possess or be able to obtain NERC certification as a Reliability Coordinator or Balancing, Interchange, and Transmission Operator • Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
• The employee in this position must possess demonstrated interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills, public speaking skills and computer skills to perform the duties of this position. • Prefer prior experience (3-5 years) working in the field of electrical technology, system operations, education, and training • Advanced operating knowledge with Microsoft Office suite of products and a learning management system is preferred.
Minnkota Power Cooperative is an EEO/AAP/Female/Minority/Disabled/Veterans Employer