Intern - Transportation SafetyNORTH CENTRAL TEXAS COUNCIL
Intern - Transportation Safety
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an Intern to provide support for its Transportation Safety Program. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://mycogcareer.silkroad.com/. To be considered for another Intern position or any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 20 hours per week while attending school.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with the collection, processing, maintenance, and analysis of regional safety data, which would include crash data from TxDOT’s Crash Records Information System, fatality data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System, and hazardous material spill data from the National Response Center
- Assisting with data collection, data entry and analysis activities for the Mobility Assistance Patrol Program, Traffic Incident Management Program, Wrong-Way Driving Mitigation Project, and Intersection Safety Improvement Program
- Assisting with the collection and analysis of regional incident management performance data
- Assisting with regional and federal safety performance measure tracking and reporting requirements
- Assisting with coordination efforts to promote transportation safety-related activities and initiatives
- Compiling and maintaining databases and spreadsheets while ensuring data accuracy
- Producing and interpreting charts, maps, plots, and reports
- Utilizing Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software
- Required Skills
- Ability to operate Windows-based computer programs such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access and Excel
- Experience using ESRI GIS software
- Analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented, organized, fast learner, and must be able to multi-task
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with other team members
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to create, maintain, and manipulate databases, maps, queries, and tables
- Ability to work independently, in a team environment, and in time-sensitive situations
- Required Experience
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment. Pursuit of a degree in a related field desired and at least one year of school-related experience preferred
- No work experience required
Minimum of $11.43 per hour
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG's purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
- Job Location
- ARLINGTON, Texas, United States
- Position Type
To Apply please visit us at: https://nctcog.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobInfo&version=1&jobid=1011