School Bus DriverOkaloosa County School Board
School District of Okaloosa County
Okaloosa County, Florida
Position Title: School Bus Driver
Reports To: Program Director, Transportation Department Route Manager North Central South
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be 21 years old. Hold a valid CDL license. High school diploma or equivalent preferred. Such alternatives to the above requirements as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend instructions and communicate with students and school staff. Ability to prepare written reports.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions. Ability to make decisions in emergency situations.
Other Skills: Ability to work as a team member, to serve as a role model. Ability to manage students behavior effectively. Complete 40 hours of pre-service training.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit and walk or stand. Employee is continuously driving and must successfully complete the physical examination for bus drivers. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work Environment: Employee occasionally works in very hot or cold temperatures and meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The noise level is frequently loud.
Job Goal: To provide safe and efficient transportation so that students may enjoy the fullest possible advantage from the districts curricular and extra-curricular programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Transports authorized students as scheduled and assigned.
2. Obeys all traffic laws, safety regulations, and precautions.
3. Abides by and enforces regulations regarding eating and smoking on buses.
4. Maintains appropriate student behavior while on the bus and reports disciplinary problems to the appropriate school authority.
5. Discharges students only at authorized stops and users appropriate exit. (Emergency door exit for emergency and evacuation drill only.)
6. Wears seat belt and abides by all rules, regulations in Bus Drive Handbook and other local policy and procedure.
7. Makes additional routes as assigned and scheduled.
8. Assures all mandatory safety regulations for buses.
9. Cleans bus daily.
10. Checks bus before each operation for mechanical defects and notifies proper authority in case of mechanical failure or cause for late arrival/departure.
11. Assures that students are evacuated prior to refueling.
12. Posts updated/current route sheet in bus.
13. Attends meetings and training classes.
14. Assists route manage in mapping and scheduling routes.
15. Cooperates with school officials and employees in mechanical maintenance and repair.
16. Complete all reports, leave papers, and records, and files with appropriate personnel.
17. Parks and picks up buses as assigned by Shop Foreman.
18. Complies with all provisions of School Board policy.
19. Collects and returns to the school secretary those personal items left on bus by students.
20. For re-employment or re-appointment, bus drivers must:(a) meet minimum eligibility and entry-level skill requirements (see page 1), and (b) successfully complete a minimum of eight (8) hours of in-service training within the preceding twelve months, and(c) successfully pass a physical examination and reflex test annually. (ESE 479).
21. Abides by and facilitates adherence to all applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures; maintains professional ethical standards; maintains high level of professional development/knowledge.
22. Other duties as may be (1) temporarily and/or sporadically assigned by the supervisor and/or the Board, (2) permanently reassigned and specific changes/notes signed by the supervisor.
Length of Employment: Nine months.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy and state laws.
It is the policy of the school district of Okaloosa county not to discriminate against employees or applicants employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, or handicap. It is the policy of the school district of Okaloosa county to hire only U. S. Citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the united states. These policies shall apply to recruitment, employment, transfers, compensation, and other items and conditions of employment.