English Instructor & Certified Police OfficerSAVANNAH TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Savannah Technical College is recruiting for the following positions:
English Instructor-Liberty Campus
Savannah Technical College seeks a full-time English Instructor. This 12-month position is based at the Liberty Campus in Hinesville, GA, but may be required to regularly travel to all Savannah Technical College campus locations. Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· preparing lesson plans for classroom instruction
· instructing students, developing program and syllabi, goals and objectives
· evaluating students’ progress in attaining goals and objectives
· assessing Writing and English course students’ learning objectives
· developing and implementing plans to improve student success rate of end-of-course exit examinations
· requesting and maintaining supplies and equipment
· maintaining program certification requirements, as appropriate
· preparing and maintaining all required documentation and administrative reports
· maintaining knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by attending staff development training, workshops, seminars and conferences
· meeting with students, staff members, and other educators to discuss students’ instructional programs and other issues impacting the progress of students
· providing academic advisement to students
· participating in academic term registrations
Duties include a flexible schedule of lecture, student advisement and registration. Successful candidate must be willing to work split teaching shifts that might require split teaching days. May be required to manage and recruit adjunct instructors. Must fully embrace the responsibility for maintaining an acceptable number of students within Technical Specialist program and also work diligently to maximize student placements in this field or related fields by working directly with local employers and the Department of Labor.
· Master’s degree in English or a closely related field, with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in English obtained from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution
· A minimum of 12 months documented experience in teaching English courses at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution
· Excellent human-relations, interpersonal skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills
· Proficient in the use of MS Office, Word and Excel
· Preference will be given to those candidates who possess or are nearing completion of a terminal degree in English or related area
· Prefer three years of full-time, paid postsecondary teaching experience
· Proficient in the use of Banner
· Active participation in appropriate professional/occupational organizations
· Proficient in the use of Blackboard LMS
Work is typically performed in a classroom environment with intermittent sitting or walking in various settings. Must frequently lift and carry lightweight objects. Full range of hand and finger motion may be utilized for data entry purposes.
Certified Police Officer
Savannah Technical College is seeking an experienced individual to serve as Police Officer. The Police Officer is responsible for providing safety, emergency response, and security services throughout the campus areas. Must be able to work at any of the STC campus locations to accommodate business needs. Will regularly travel between campuses and may assist with intercampus communications.
· Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and Local laws/regulations.
· Ability to differentiate between colors.
· Ability to interact socially and work well with others.
· Ability to handle crisis situations according to established guidelines
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Available to work weekends, day, evening and morning shifts.
· Georgia P.O.S.T. certification
· Working knowledge of generally accepted computer programs for report writing, incident tracking, traffic studies, and compilation of incidents.
· Ability to develop and maintain good public relations.
· Ability to comprehend and follow detailed verbal and written instructions.
· Associate or Bachelor degree in Criminal Justice, Accounting, Sociology, or related field.
· Training in Homeland Security.
· Valid Driver’s License and proof of insurability required.
· Three years paid work experience as a P.O.S.T. certified police officer within the last five years.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, stooping, bending, crouching, climbing, and lifting up to 50 pounds. The work is performed in campus buildings and outdoors where the employee is occasionally exposed to cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dirt, dust, grease, machinery with moving parts, and irritating chemicals. This position is subject to exposure to extreme and possibly life threatening conditions. Position subject to pre-employment drug testing, physical and psychological examination. Due to the high-risk nature of this position, employees in this capacity are subject to pre-employment and random drug testing.