Transportation - MechanicSCHOOL DISTRICT U-46
Transportation - Mechanic
School District U-46 is currently accepting applications for Transportation - Mechanic.
Job Duties / Accountabilities:
1. Perform diagnostics, maintenance, and repair/parts replacement and diagnostics on district vehicles including the following systems & their components; electrical,air conditioning, brakes, glass, engine maintenance and overhaul, transmissions, exhaust, tires, suspension, and drive train to ensure the safest possible transportation for students andstaff.
2. Assist with body and structural work as needed.
3. Complete all categories/levels of preventative maintenance, as well as IDOT mandated brake inspections.
4. Prepare and submit accurate and timely repair & maintenance records on a consistent basis.
5. Follow all departmental procedures related to shop operations.
6. Maintain vehicle compliance utilizing the Illinois Department of Transportation and federal standards.
7. Maintain the highest level of work performance and complete repairs as assigned,while upholding high safety standards.
8. Maintain a clean and organized shop area.
9. Maintain an appropriate set of personal job related tools.
10. Safely operate the district tow truck(s) while performing road calls.
11. Obey all traffic laws and department guidelines when operating district owned vehicles.
12. Assist with snow removal when assigned.
13. Work independently while contributing to a positive and professional "team effort.
14. Other duties as assigned
Experience / Knowledge:
1. Four (4) years fleet maintenance and repair experience on medium/heavy-duty vehicles preferred.
2. Ability to multi-task.
3. Knowledge of diesel and gasoline vehicle repairsand maintenance.
4. Knowledge of State and Federal mandated requirements regarding the repair and maintenance of school buses. 5. Must have a valid driver’s license and clean MVR, and able to obtain a Class A license with airbrake endorsement within 6 months of employment.
6. Must be at least 21 years of age.
1. High school diploma or equivalent required.
2. Auto/Diesel/Industrial vocational trade school preferred.
3. Bilingual - Spanish/English (written/verbal) preferred.
1. Required to do repetitive bending, kneeling, and lifting (at least 50 lbs.) with proper technique, during the course of the normal work day.
2. Work safely while climbing and/or standing on ladders.
3. Must work safely in varying weather conditions.