Equipment OperatorTOWN OF WEST HARTFORD
Town of West Hartford Equipment Operator - Public Works
Position Type: Service Workers
Date Posted: July 18, 2018
Closing Date: August 11, 2018
Equipment Operator Application Deadline: Friday, August 10, 2018
Salary Range: $25.90 - $31.48 per hour
Under general direction, maintains the cleanliness and appearance of the infrastructure of the Town through manual work and the safe and efficient operation of trucks, heavy construction and maintenance equipment and other equipment which may require special techniques. Work Environment Work involves reasonable risks and/or discomforts, not adversely affecting the health and safety of an employee, which require special safety precautions and extensive muscular exercise. Must be able to operate trucks and other equipment for extended periods of time.
- Digging, shoveling, bending extensively, using jack hammer or “pavement breaker.”
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds in a repetitive fashion. Exposure to dirt, noise, fumes, and other disagreeable conditions.
- Work may include extended work periods in excess of eight hours and being called to respond to the essential obligations of the Town.
- Work outdoors for prolonged periods, exposed to varying weather conditions and/or temperature extremes.
- Personal protection equipment is required and must be worn in the performance of most job functions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains the cleanliness and appearance of the Town infrastructure through manual labor and the safe and efficient operation of trucks, heavy construction and maintenance equipment and other equipment requiring special techniques such as, but not limited to, truck-mounted sand spreader, asphalt spreader, and similar attachments; or miscellaneous equipment such as a roller, bobcat, paving box, or front-end loader or similar equipment.
- Operates trucks for road maintenance and construction work to include hauling laborers, materials and equipment.
- Repairs, maintains and cleans streets, catch basins, manholes, culverts and other roadway or adjacent areas.
- Assists in the installation and removal of snow and ice control equipment.
- Plows or shovels or otherwise removes snow, dirt, or other materials or debris from streets, sidewalks and adjacent areas.
- Participates in snow and ice control operations.
- Replaces fabricated signs and performs simple sign installation without the use of specialized equipment; places portable signs.
- Assists in securing the safety of roads, public areas and construction or work sites to include, but not be limited to placing proper signs, cones, lights or barricades and bagging parking meters, etc.
- Provides manual labor or simple mechanical support where specialized skill, training and experience is not required.
- Performs manual labor to support operations.
- Performs work in a safe manner and observes all safety procedures.
- Wears personal protection equipment as required by town and state and federal regulations.
- Uses all vehicles, tools, equipment and materials properly and responsibly.
- Reads and marks grade stakes for construction projects. Cleans and maintains interior and exterior of vehicle and assures its safe and productive operation.
- Makes daily visual inspection of vehicle, including, but not limited to, tires, lights, wipers, oil, etc. for proper operations before starting vehicle or equipment.
- Promptly reports any vehicle malfunctions, deficiencies, or damage.
- Completes job/work records, forms or reports regarding task accomplishments to supervisor using current technology.
- Performs essential job functions in the work environment as described above.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- May direct traffic around work areas.
- Performs routine services and makes minor repairs to assigned equipment.
- Performs minor painting to maintain vehicle or equipment appearance.
- Assists in minor repairs.
- Responds to customer inquiries within scope of authority and ability to do so.
- Orients other staff to perform specific job functions.
- Performs miscellaneous building and equipment maintenance and cleaning tasks as related to job responsibilities at division work sites and locations.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles of operation and routine servicing of trucks and related automotive equipment.
- Knowledge and experience in the operation and maintenance of heavy construction equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations governing equipment operation.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards involved and the precautions necessary for safe operation of heavy motor-driven equipment, including operation over rough, slippery or unstable surfaces.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to complete and maintain written records and reports.
- Ability to learn the geography of the Town and assigned routes.
- Physical strength and agility sufficient to lift and move heavy objects and otherwise do strenuous physical laboring tasks under varying weather conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years experience in the operation and routine maintenance of trucks, including some experience performing strenuous manual labor and in the operation of heavy construction equipment.
- Must hold a valid Commercial Drivers’ License (CDL) with associated Air Brake endorsement at the time of application.
- Applicants must possess and maintain a driving record in accordance with the Town of West Hartford’s Safe Driving Record Policy.
An individual may not be considered for appointment if he or she has had a major violation conviction within a three year period; four or more motor vehicle violations other than major within a three year period; or suspension or revocation of a license for any reason in the past five years.
Applicants must complete the Driving Supplement to Employment Application. Method of Selection Weight Passing Score Driving Test --- Pass/Fail Oral Board Examination 100% 70 Applicants must obtain a passing score of 70% on the Oral Board Examination in order to be eligible to participate in the Driving Test.
Applicants must achieve an overall score of 70% to be placed on the Eligible List for this position. The Town reserves the right to limit the number of applicants invited to any phase of the selection process.
Candidates shall be required to submit to a drug test as part of the pre-employment medical examination. Applicants must also complete the Drug Testing Supplement to the Employment Application. Failure to do so will automatically disqualify your application for the position.
An individual appointed to the position is required to participate in a random drug and alcohol-testing program as required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
Any offer of employment is conditional based upon successful completion of a physical examination and an authorized Department of Transportation (DOT) regulated drug and alcohol record check.
An individual appointed to the position must satisfactorily complete a six (6) month probationary period.