University of the Incarnate Word
San Antonio, Texas
University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic institution that welcomes to its community persons of diverse backgrounds, in the belief that their respectful interaction advances the discovery of truth, mutual understanding, self-realization, and the common good.
The Master Mechanic, under the direct supervision of the Director of Purchasing, is responsible for maintaining and repairing all University vehicles that may be gasoline and/or diesel operated.
UIW offers Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave, UIW Tuition Waiver, Tuition Exchange Program, 13 Paid Holidays, Employer-Paid Basic Life/AD&D Insurance 1 X base salary, Employer- Paid Long-Term Disability Insurance, Flexible Spending Account (FSAs) – Medical/Dependent Care, Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (403B), Employee Assistance Program, Free Membership to Wellness Center, and more!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Description of Job Duties
- Performs all line maintenance as required for satisfactory operation of vehicle to include periodic checks on tires, oil, gasoline water, grease, points, plugs, break shoes, exhaust systems, lights, safety equipment, and steering systems.
- Perform minor and major mechanical repairs.
- Assist in maintaining vehicle records.
- Reports and consults with Fleet Manager on major repair problems.
- Operates tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
- Helps maintain the shop in a clean and orderly manner.
- Assist in annual safety inspection of all commercial vehicles (school/charter buses).
- Corrects unsafe conditions in work area, and reports any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
- Maintain accurate record of time and materials required to perform repairs and service.
- Uses diagnostic equipment to evaluate mechanical problems in vehicles.
- Required to drive commercial vehicles (school/charter buses).
- Performs other duties as assigned by Fleet Manager.
Qualifications Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and written), concentrate, reason, understand verbal instructions, analyze, differentiate, memorize, read, coordinate, compile, compute, and maintain emotional control under stress.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the University, the Conference, and the NCAA.
- Required Education High School Diploma or its equivalent Required Work Experience
- Three or more years experience as a Master Mechanic or 7 years as a Mechanic.
- Experience must repair and maintenance of gasoline or diesel operated trucks, cars, golf carts and buses.
- Preferred Qualifications Required Certifications, Licenses or Registrations
- Commercial Drivers License (Class B) with appropriate endorsements of P & S.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or Technical Certificates
Work Hours 8:00 a.m. thru 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday. After hours as required (i.e.: vehicle breakdowns)
Physical Demands Lift and/or carry heavy weight (45 pounds or more), stand, walk, balance, crawl, stoop, kneel, crouch, pull, push, reach, perform repetitive hand motions, hear, speak, possess visual acuity, driver moderate distances, travel moderately, work around moving objects or vehicles, may work prolonged or irregular hours. May be exposed to dampness and humidity, toxic chemicals, exhaust fumes, gasoline, and diesel fuel.