Don't Miss This Opportunity!
This person supervises all Road Department personnel and is responsible for the functional areas of Road Maintenance, Bridge Maintenance, and County Road Facilities Maintenance. The Road Superintendent carries out department plans related to the construction, maintenance, and repair of roads, bridges, and culverts, utilizing generally accepted standards, work methods, procedures and techniques. Decision-making is based upon established practice, precedent, procedures, policies, rules and guidelines.
* Supervises all Road Department personnel. Plans, schedules, and assigns work to Foreman or road employees based upon established departmental priorities; including, but not limited to, review of daily reports, prioritization of equipment utilization, evaluations, and progress reviews.
* Trains subordinates at all levels in proper methods, procedures and safety related to their work; evaluates employee performance; interviews job applicants; and handles employee grievances within County guidelines. Approves leave requests according to established policy; addresses rule violations and apply disciplinary procedures in accordance with the guidelines established by the County.
* Develops the master maintenance program approved by the County Commission, and carries out these plans related to the construction, maintenance and repair of road surfaces, bridges, culverts, guardrail, drainage, signs/markings and roadside vegetation. Summarizes this work in the form of an annual report.
* Directs the snow and ice control program according to established policy and/or procedure.
* Promotes an environment of safe work by providing safety training and personal protective equipment.
* Recommends to the County Commission, the establishment of rules, regulations, and policies related to Roads department.
* Oversees random drug/alcohol testing for CDL drivers within the department.
* Researches and prepares the desired specifications of new construction equipment/vehicles.
* Communicates with the County Commission on the purchasing of materials and equipment for road maintenance.
* Responsible for the procurement and maintenance of department vehicles and equipment.
* Responsible for planning, directing, maintenance and repair of County Road department buildings and grounds.
* Maintains detailed records of jobs completed and materials used.
* Investigates complaints concerning county roads and bridges within the scope of the Road Department. Personally contacts residents/owners to address the concerns in accordance with established guidelines. Confers with County Commission and obtains their approval prior to resolving a complaint not within normal standards.
* Assigns personnel for emergency duty in accordance with departmental requirements; Road Department is on call for road/bridge emergencies 24/7/365.
* Arranges staff meetings and performs other duties as required by the County Commission.
NECESSARY SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
* Must have knowledge of private and public sector highway maintenance techniques, to include labor/equipment/materials planning and utilization, creation and maintenance of accurate records, and ability to prepare meaningful, accurate, and concise reports.
* Must have demonstrated knowledge of human resources management skills, management principles, and procedures for employee training and development. Must be able to interview job applicants effectively, to communicate effectively in both oral and written form, and to establish and maintain a safe, positive and production-oriented work environment.
* Must have knowledge of budgeting, purchasing, and handling of contractual matters with public and private officials.
* Must have knowledge of inventory control techniques.
* Must have knowledge of building and grounds maintenance techniques.
* Must have ability to obtain prior to employment in this position and to maintain as condition of employment a valid North Dakota driver's license.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
There will be regular and continuous exposure to inclement weather and extremes in temperature. The job may entail exposure to dirt, mud, soiling of clothing, and being in
close proximity to construction equipment. Some work is in a standard office setting. The work is also performed in a sitting or standing position with driving and walking
performed at will. At times this person may be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Normal visual and hearing acuity is required. Work will require effort during
non-standard work hours at times. Occasional travel required.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Position requires a minimum of an Associate Degree (preferably Bachelors) in construction management, civil engineering or similar field of study. In addition to education, a minimum of 4 years work experience in a related field, with a minimum of 2 years in a management position is required. Significant applicable work experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of duties, skills, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reasonable outline of those principal job elements essential in meeting the performance standards of this position.
Click "Apply" to Apply Online